Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Apple Tree

Nicholas was eating an apple the other day and started asking about the seeds. He wanted to know what they were (apart from yucky, meaning inedible) and I told him that when the seeds are planted in the ground they grow into a new apple tree.

Since he was showing an interest, I decided that we would plant some seeds in one of my window pots. This is what we have now:


At the moment, he is quite fascinated. He is really amazed at how the bigger plant is changing and was excited when the smaller one popped up this morning. I was intending to buy him a plant for him to look after, but I think these little guys will be even better, since he has seen the process from seed to plant and is quite taken with them!

Linking up to Montessori Mondays 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post! I was thinking about having my preschool classes plant apple seeds this coming Fall. Did you plant seeds directly from an apple or did you buy apple seeds? If they came directly from the apple, did you have to let them dry first before planting them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took the seeds from the apple he had just eaten and put them directly into compost, then watered them a little each day - enough to keep the soil damp. I don't know if this is the 'proper' way of doing so, but it worked this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you went with your son's interest, Ali! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete