Friday, June 29, 2012

Moving on to Montessori

I've been neglecting this blog somewhat lately. This is because I've been delving into the fascinating world of Montessori teaching and have decided to move on from our past dabblings in Montessori-style learning. I am diving headfirst into setting up as much of a Montessori homeschool as I can afford the time, money and space to create.

While Nikki has spent the last week in Russian immersion, I have been sanding spindles and re-designing our  home. It is very much a work-in-progress, and I will be making space for materials where I can and as the need arises.

The hardest thing I have found, is that I need to completely change the way I communicate with Nicholas. I have always talked him through all his activities and been a firm believer in the 'naughty corner'. The Montessori  approach to teaching and discipline are both encapsulated in the quote:

"Teach by teaching, not by correcting."

This is something I am having a hard time teaching myself to do. It is just so easy to fall back on the old friends no and don't - and I suspect it will be a long time before I am fully comfortable in the role of Teacher rather than that of Corrector.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to your post. I'm not true Montessori mom but I do certain activities that way. I also try not to interrupt Eaton in his activities.I see that sometimes Eaton looks at me and waits for the approval to go further. I do give him a smile or eye signal to continue. I'm also glad that I did so many videos of me teaching Eaton in early years because now I see my mistakes or potential for improvement. I'm sure you will be great addition to all Montessorian bloggers!!

    Bare in mind that you introduced few languages to Nicholas-(that is so wonderful). Montessori way of teaching can be too slow and too repetitive for the mind exposed to Doman method teaching. I see that with Eaton, who can not stand repetitive work and 3 parts cards. Just let you know..not to discourage you ;-)

    I can't wait to see your homy set up of montessory school

    Marta:)

    ReplyDelete