Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Discipline

I am struggling to find an effective way to discipline Nicholas. I really don't want to smack him, especially since the 'naughty' things he does aren't bad - mostly it involves throwing my things on the floor or completely ignoring me when I say no.

I tried putting him in his bed, no toys or distractions, and he could be heard happily chatting with himself. On several occasions he even put himself to sleep!

Now we are trying the 'naughty corner' idea. This is getting maybe 20% success (in the sense that he cries and wants to go) but he still mostly chatters to himself and seems quite happy to sit there. He sits in the hall, separated from whatever I am doing, facing the corner, nothing to look at or play with, but still he doesn't seem bothered to be there. Of course, that makes it a poor punishment.

I really can't think of anything else that is age-appropriate...

Not to say that he is a really naughty boy, just that there are a couple of things he does - like throwing the entire contents of my desk on the floor whenever he gets within grasping distance - that are not nice and I want to discourage. Argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment